This section is devoted to the protection of all species, flora and fauna, facing extinction due to the actions of humans. As of 11/09/04, this page will no longer be updated and the information below is for reference purposes only. For more up-to-date information check the following sites:
To understand what humanity is doing to the natural world around us we suggest reading the following topics. Each topic describes its impact on the plight of species, why and where it is threatened with extinction and what if anything is being done to alleviate the problem.
We start with the Endangered Species Act of 1973 explaining how it functions, what it has accomplished to date and what it faces in an environmentally hostile Congress and Bush administration. If nothing else please read what the stakes are and what you can do to help.
There is a listing of other environmental groups working to obtain better legislation and how you can contact them. While the Sierra Club applauds their activity on behalf of the species, the Sierra Club position on these matters does not, necessarily, match in its entirety, the position of any or all of these other groups. We suggest hearing their views and requests for action to get a well rounded understanding of the severity of the problem.
Table of Contents
SPECIAL - Endangered Species Act Cartoon
Is killing endangered animals the best way to protect them? The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) thinks so.
Find out more by watching this humorous clip about the Preservator 3000 -- the newest weapon being used to destroy the Endangered Species Act (ESA): http://www.care2.com/go/z/15577.
1. Action Alerts - Also, how to contact your Representatives and Senators.
New! Sierra Club Action Alert - FY 2005 Interior Appropriations Bill - June 2004
Protect wildlife, fish, plants, farmworkers from pesticides - June 2004
2. Hopeful Snippets - Here's some GOOD news!
New! Successful breeding season for red wolves - June 2004
Rare Miami blue butterflies returned to wild - June 2004
From mechanic to sea turtle savior - June 2004
Endangered Species Act - What is it all about?
4. Overpopulation: Its impact on biodiversity - A Sierra Club fact sheet *
5. Overpopulation: Its impact on fishing - A Sierra Club fact sheet *
6. Our eating habits: Their impact on the animal world
7. Urban Sprawl: Its impact on habitat
8. Other sources of information
9. The Endangered Species Recovery Act: What is it? What will it do?
10. Help New York State Endangered and Threatened Species
12. Wolves Slaughtered by Government at Behest of Cattle Ranchers
* For more information or copies of this or any other Sierra Club fact sheet contact:
408 C Street NW
Washington DC 20002
Phone: (202) 547-1141